Watch the video:
- How tall will the card house be when it’s finished?
- How many cards/decks of cards were used to make the card house?
- How many card triangles were used to make the card house?
Make a best guess estimate.
Make a guess that you know is too low.
Make a guess that you know is too high.
What information do you need to answer your question? Supply information to students as they ask for it.
- Card House Act 2-Dimensions of Card Triangles
- Card House Act 2-Cards in each deck used to build the card house
- Act 2 – Card House info
Support pairs/groups of students with least helpful questions as they struggle to answer their math question(s).
Students share strategies and solutions, using precise mathematical language and calculations. Students should discuss various strategies and look for efficiency and flexibility in other students’ thinking.
Questions to ask
- How close was your best guess estimate?
- What patterns did you notice?
- How can you explain those patterns?
Height of Card House
Number of Cards Used
Number of Card Triangles Used