Standards: 2.NBT.6 2.NBT.7 2.NBT.9
Watch the video:
- What do you notice? Record student responses.
- What do you wonder? Record student curiosities and wonders.
- How many Snickers candies were in the bowl to start (How many did the teachers eat)?
- How many Twix candies are in the bowl now?
Ask students to:
- Write down an estimate that is too high.
- Write down an estimate that is too low.
- Write down a best guess estimate.
- Mark each estimate on an empty number line.
Ask students what information/tools they need to answer their question. Give them their information as they ask for it.
- Share your solution and strategies. Compare your strategies and results.
- How reasonable was your estimate?
- What might you do differently next time?
- What did you do well during this task?