Standards: 4.NF.4 3.NF.1
Watch the video:
- What do you notice?
- What do you wonder?
- How many sweet tart hearts of each color?
- How many pink (or any other color) sweet tart hearts are in the glass?
Ask students to:
- Write down an estimate that is too high.
- Write down an estimate that is too low.
- Write down a best guess estimate.
- Mark each estimate on an empty number line.
Ask students what information/tools they need to answer their question. Give them their information as they ask for it.
Allow students time to engage in productive struggle, solving their problem through sense making.
- Share your solution and strategies. Compare your strategies and results.
- How reasonable was your estimate?
- What might you do differently next time?